AMAZON Career Choice Privacy Notice
1 Introduction and scope
In this AMAZON Career Choice Privacy Notice (“Notice”) we describe how AMAZON and its affiliates as outlined below (“AMAZON” or “we”) treat the Personal Data of employees (“Employees” or “you”) who register for the AMAZON Career Choice Program ("Career Choice") and apply for respective tuition support on the Career Choice Internet Platform ("Platform"). By using the site, you signify your acceptance of this Notice as amended from time to time.
2 Who is the Controller?
The data controller with respect to the processing of your Personal Data is your respective employing AMAZON entity ("Data Controller"). To identify your employing AMAZON entity, please refer to your employment contract with AMAZON.
Moreover, Amazon.com, Inc., having its registered office at P.O. Box 81226, Seattle, WA 98108-1226, USA, is responsible for the processing of your Personal Data together with the Data Controller ("Co-Controller").
3 Processing of your Personal Data
AMAZON processes the following personal data about you (hereinafter jointly referred to as “Personal Data”):
Identification data (name, birth date, AMAZON login, AMAZON badge ID, address, phone number and email address, financial information, IP address);
Job data (job title, job level, job code, employee type, payroll status, supervisor); and
Career Choice data (school name, class/course, start and end date of class/course, schedule, achieved certificates, tuition support documents, program completion, job transition).
4 How We Process your Personal Data
The AMAZON Career Choice Team ("Team") and the AMAZON HR Shared Services ("ERC") team will support Employees participating in Career Choice.
ERC offers support to English and Spanish speaking Employees from Costa Rica, and all general support to all Employees globally on numerous Career Choice questions. The Career Choice Team is spread over four European countries offering the program to Employees in nine European countries.
Your registration on the Platform and request for payment will be reviewed and approved by ERC based on eligibility requirements. To find out if you are eligible, please refer to your local Platform. The fields of study covered by the Program are restricted to those managed by the Program and listed on the website. You are granted financial support that covers 95% of the tuition fees, which must be used in four years from first class being taken.
The team sends out optional surveys to collect information about employee experience with Career Choice and how Employees can be supported the best way. Surveys are sent from Qualtrics and Personal Data is stored in Qualtrics. The survey processes Personal Data such as IP addresses, login, program experience, program completion, barriers to program completion or transition to high paying jobs etc.
5 Purposes of Processing Personal Data and Legal Basis
AMAZON processes Personal Data for the following purposes:
- Determining whether you are eligible for Career Choice;
- Processing your registration and payment request;
- Granting tuition/financial support;
- For administrative purposes; verification and documentation purposes;
- Informing you, via email, about the progress of your application and to provide you with further information that you are requesting regarding the status of Career Choice;
- Protecting our rights and fulfilling our legal obligations;
- Determining what other support to provide Employees to eliminate barriers and help towards career progress;
- Determining whether you have transitioned to a new job on your chosen field of study, as a result of taking classes via Career Choice.
We process the above data for our legitimate interest in assessing your application and in some instances to fulfill our legal obligations
6 Disclosure and transfer of your Personal Data
AMAZON shares your Personal Data:
- With employees of AMAZON only on a need-to-know basis for the purposes as described in chapter 5 above.
- Following completion of your registration on the Platform for Career Choice and application for tuition support, the information that you have uploaded will be made available to the Data Controller and the Co-Controller as set out in chapter 3 above. The Data Controller and the Co-Controller have concluded Standard Contractual Clauses for controller-to-controller transfers. You can obtain a copy of our Standard Contractual Clauses by sending an email to email@example.com.
- The team as set out in chapter 5 above as a data processor (employees of Data Controller and Co-Controller, therefore based either in Seattle, Washington, or in the respective European region where you register and apply for Career Choice);
- ERC as set out in chapter 4 above as a data processor based in Costa Rica for English and Spanish speaking Employees, and based in Prague, Czech Republic, for all other Employees; and
- With AMAZON third party cloud service provider Salesforce.com, Inc. ("Salesforce"), who hosts the Platform in the USA on behalf of AMAZON as a data processor.
- With AMAZON third party service provider Qualtrics, who hosts the Personal Data in connection with the survey and is certified under the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield, as you may see here. AMAZON signed an Integration Agreement with Qualtrics containing the main aspects of a Commissioned Data Processing Agreement (dated 18 February 2018).
- With Amazon-partner schools, third party employment partners [HERE - HYPERLINK] and coaches [HERE - HYPERLINK], to contact you to offer enrollment and support services related to your education or job search.
Some of the recipients of your personal information as specified above may be located in countries (including the United States) that do not provide a level of data protection equivalent to that set forth by the European Union and some other jurisdictions. AMAZON will take appropriate steps to ensure that such transfers are in accordance with the applicable privacy laws.
7 Retention Period
We store your Personal Data in accordance with AMAZON Retention Policies.
AMAZON has taken appropriate technical, physical and organizational measures in order to protect your Personal Data in its custody or control from loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, copying, accidental or unlawful destruction and any other unlawful forms of using.
9 Your rights
You have the right to request access to, correction, or deletion of your Personal Data, to ask for data portability, restrict or object to processing of your Personal Data.
To make a data subject request, please contact us at:
You can also lodge a complaint with the responsible supervisory authority.
10 Changes to this Notice
AMAZON may update this Notice from time to time and use of the Personal Data we collect now is subject to the Notice in effect at the time of use. Whenever AMAZON make a change, we will post the updated policy at this site and we encourage you to check our Notice periodically. By using our site following the posting of a change in the Notice, you consent to the updated Notice.